Saturday, July 9, 2016

Unsocial Media


Recently I've been strongly considering deleting my Facebook account. There are so many reasons that make me want to so I thought that I would share them with you today. As with anything, there are pros and cons to Facebook and social media I know, but these are just my own personal opinions and I have absolutely no problem with people spending as much time on Facebook as they'd like.

So anyway, here is my list of reasons to convince myself to delete Facebook.

1. Friends?
In my life I have around 5-6 REALLY close friends. We'd talk every other day and meet up every once in a while. I have 507 friends on Facebook. So now I can keep up with 507 people that I barely know and watch them attend weddings, concerts, get into relationships and everything else. And what does it matter to me? Nothing. I mean, while it's great to get the latest gossip on people I haven't seen in years, I really don't care what these people are up to. And I don't mean that in a horrible way but I don't know them. And I'm sure they don't really care what I'm up to either.

2. Under Pressure
This is a biggie for me. I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone or just some weird social anxiety side-effect that I have but I feel an enormous amount of pressure on Facebook. For example, how many likes can I get on my profile picture, how many people will wish me happy birthday or will I be tagged in those photos my friend took? This is no word of a lie but I haven't changed my profile picture in over a year for fear of not getting any likes. Is that silly? Maybe. But it's something that causes me a lot of stress and anxiety and I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth it.

3. Depressing
Again, this might just be me but I spend an awfully long time on Facebook comparing myself to others or comparing my life to theirs. I ask myself 'why don't I look that good in photos?' or 'why isn't my life that exciting?' I see people jetting off on foreign holidays, having crazy nights out and moving to exciting places and I can't help but feel myself getting more and more depressed with each scroll. Why is my life so boring? Why can't I do those things and look that way and have that many friends? It's not healthy and it's not creating a good mind set.

4. Living Life For Social Media
I feel as though this one doesn't just apply to Facebook, but also to Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram etc. Whenever I go anywhere with my friends or have a night out, all I can think about is getting that perfect Snap to show everyone how great my life is. Or people spend ages taking that perfect picture to post on Instagram. I'm starting to feel like me, and those around me, are living our lives just to brag about it later on Facebook. We spend more time perfecting these pictures and posts that we forget to actually enjoy ourselves and enjoy the time we spend with each other.

5. Confidence
I feel like this point ties in with all the other points. With everything I see on social media I honestly feel like my confidence has been beaten and thrashed by everything. I see all these girls looking tanned and thin on Instagram, previous friends with their new boyfriends and relations living it up abroad. Even sending friends requests causes me so much anxiety. What if they reject? Do they hate me? God, I hate my brain. Nothing is ever simple and I feel like Facebook and other social medias are frying it even more.

So, why don't I just quit? That's the question I ask myself every day. If I hate it so much, why not just delete my account and be done with it? The fear of missing out I suppose. What if my friends are trying to organise a day out and they can't get in contact with me? Or how about when I go to college next year and I miss out on all the fun on Facebook with new friends? 

Also, we become so dependant on Facebook it's like an addiction. I can't go a day without checking on Facebook. A 'quick' look soon turns into hours and hours of random searching and pointless posts. 

I think the only option for me is to try and cut down how much time I spend on Facebook day-by-day. There's no way I could quit cold turkey. How do you feel about Facebook and other social medias? Have you ever deleted an account? Leave a comment below and let me know. Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment